On Friday, June 15, the Museum increased its membership rates (except for the Student category). We didn’t want you caught off guard by this and thought you may wonder why this happened, so we thought we’d provide you with some things you might not know about the Desert Museum.
Five Things You May Not Know About The Desert Museum
- ASDM relies on gate admissions, membership dues and the generosity of donors for its support. The Museum received no city, county, state, or federal funding for operations (except for a small amount of grant funding for conservation and education programs).
- Annual care of the Museum’s living collections and upholding AZA standards is costly – the Museum’s operating expenses are just over $25,000 per day.
- The Museum’s operating expenses have increased 17.5% since 2015.
- The Museum has not changed its membership benefits or increased pricing since 2016.
- Coming soon! You will be able to check your membership status online and be able to renew or upgrade your membership when we launch our new member interface later this year!
Our new rates are as follows:
General Membership Benefit and Policy Changes:
Members receive discounts on strollers, manual wheelchairs, and electric convenience vehicles
- Strollers $5
- Wheelchair Rental $7
- Electric Scooter $20
Members will now enjoy a one-time use only 10% off coupon for the gift shop and restaurants.
Please note: If you purchase a new membership or renew a lapsed membership (more than 3 months lapsed) in person at the Museum, your membership cards, passes, and coupons will be mailed to you. You will not be able to receive your guest passes or coupons at the time of purchase. If your membership is not lapsed by over 3 months, you will be able to receive your guest passes and coupons at the time of purchase.
In addition to general memberships, the Museum has several sustaining membership categories. These members provide even greater support for the Museum, but also receive more benefits than those in the “general” category. Some changes have occurred here, too.
- Members receive free use of strollers and wheelchairs. Electric Scooter rental is $20
- Members will now enjoy a 10% year-round discount on all food and gift shop purchases
- Members will receive five complimentary one-time-use only stingray entrance passes; and
- Please note: If you purchase a new membership or renew a lapsed membership (more than 3 months lapsed) in person at the Museum, your membership cards, passes, and coupons will be mailed to you. You will not be able to receive your guest passes or coupons at the time of purchase. If your membership is not lapsed by over 3 months, you will be able to receive your guest passes and coupons at the time of purchase.
And finally, the look of all membership cards will be changing (with the exception of the Life Member card). Instead of a permanent credit-card type of card, all Members will be transitioned, over the next 12 months, to an annual membership card that is made of sturdy paper (you can laminate it yourself if you want it to be sturdier). Your new membership card(s) will now feature your name, category of membership, expiration date, and barcode. Every time you renew your membership you will receive a new card. Additionally, the guest passes and coupons or tickets associated with your level of membership will also be presented on the same sheet that will provide you with your membership card. All cards passes, and coupons can be perforated off for use.
For answers to questions about these new changes and perhaps other questions you may have about your membership, please visit the Museum’s Frequently Asked Questions page. If you have a comment about these new changes please put your thoughts in writing to Member Services at email@example.com.
We greatly appreciate your ongoing support of the Desert Museum & its mission and we hope that this information helps you understand why these changes needed to be made. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Museum!